President and Principal Investigator
B.A., Anthropology, Rollins College
M.A., Anthropology, University of Connecticut
Co-founder of HPI, 1982
Ms. Saunders meets the professional qualifications of the National Park Service’s 36CFR 61 and is certified by the Register of Professional Archaeologists (RPA). Working in urban, rural, and waterfront sites, Ms. Saunders has directed a full range of projects that encompass archival research, archaeological evaluations and field investigations, structural assessments, visual impact analysis and master plan development. The development of cost effective and engaging methods to “celebrate” history and the archaeological process had been a recent major focus, particularly since state and federal review agencies require an educational component in mitigation agreements.
In addition to her full commitment to HPI’s clients, Ms. Saunders serves as a governor appointed member of the State Historic Preservation Review Board and is the Connecticut Editor for the Council for Northeast Historical Archaeology Newsletter.
- • Armonk Square Mixed-Use Development, Armonk, Westchester County, NY;
- • Willis Avenue Bridge Truss Preservation, New York, NY;
- • NYC DEP Storm/Sewer Installations, Conference House Park, Staten Island, NY;
- • Mantoloking Bridge Replacement, Barnegat Bay, Ocean County, NJ;
- • U.S. Navy North Division, Fort Trumbull De-accession, New London, CT;
- • SUNY Stony Brook Athletic Facilities Improvement, Stony Brook, Long Island, NY;
- • Scovill Brass Works Development Site, Cultural Resources Mitigation, Waterbury, CT;
- • NYC Parks and Recreation, Cedar Grove Beach, Historic Structures Recordation, Staten Island;
- • New York Botanical Garden Comprehensive Facilities and Plan Project;
- • Town of Woodbury, Cultural Resources Preservation Plan, Woodbury, CT;
- • Metro-North Swing Bridge Recordation, South Norwalk, CT; and
- • Port Authority of NY-NJ, Newark International Airport NEC Connector, Archaeological Assessment, NJ.